A Little Friday File Fun

In Hanoi, Vietnam, a 54-year-old man complained of stomach pains and was given medicine for a stomach ulcer. When that didn’t help, an X-ray found the problem— surgical forceps inside his body had broken apart and become lodged in his stomach. According to national television VTV, the forceps had probably been left in his abdomen in 1998 when he had emergency surgery after a traffic accident. They have since been removed.

In Highlands County, Florida, a man sentenced to 10 years in prison for using a stolen identity to obtain more than $300 in products and services from Verizon Wireless is suing the company for not stopping him. The local ABC News station reports that on May 7, 2015, the man went to a Verizon store and used his ID to steal from an existing customer with the same first and last name, but a different middle name. The suit claims the Verizon customer should have realized the ID and information from the customer account did not match. The man says Verizon’s “negligence” caused a loss of “civil liberties and freedoms.” He is seeking $72 million in damages.

In Mainhausen, Germany, a man returning home one morning from working a night shift found a brick wall in front of his door. The mortar on the bricks was dry enough that the man had to borrow an ax to smash through the wall in order to get to his front door, according to Hessenschau.de, a German website. Police believe the wall was built by pranksters, but said it is a crime, not a joke. They estimate damage caused by the wall builders to be around $523. Most of the damage was to the front door, its frame and the bell.

In Dormont, Pennsylvania, a couple went to an auto shop to get an oil change for the husband’s truck. The wife had to use the restroom and the next thing she knew, she was holding her newborn baby. The woman said she felt little pain or contractions. When she yelled for help, another customer, who happened to be a registered nurse, came to her aid. A 911 dispatcher told the husband how to tie off the umbilical cord and mom and baby were rushed to the hospital.