Forty-four percent of employees surveyed said a boss has been the primary reason they have left a job, according to BambooHR’s Bad Boss Index.
Characteristics of their boss that made them leave include management style (37%), condescending attitude (30%), mean and/or had a bad temper (30%), inappropriate behavior (26%) and harassed employees (24%). Seventeen percent of respondents who said a boss had been the primary reason they left a job said it was because their boss took credit for their work.
Taking credit for an employee’s work was the top cited bad boss behavior. The rest of the Top 10 bad boss behaviors are:
- Doesn’t appear to trust or empower employees;
- Doesn’t appear to care if employees are overworked;
- Doesn’t appear to advocate for employees when it comes to monetary compensation;
- Hires and/or promotes the wrong people;
- Doesn’t back up employees when there is a dispute between an employee and a client;
- Doesn’t provide proper direction on assignments/roles;
- Micromanages and doesn’t allow employees the “freedom to work;”
- Focuses more on employees’ weaknesses rather than strengths; and
- Doesn’t set clear expectations.
The Bad Boss Index infographic may be downloaded from here.