Employers were also asked to reveal the most unusual or most memorable things they have found an employee doing when they should have been working. Answers included:
- Employee was taking a sponge bath in the bathroom sink.
- Employee was trying to hypnotize other employees to stop their smoking habits.
- Employee was visiting a tanning bed in lieu of making deliveries.
- Employee was looking for a mail order bride.
- Employee was playing a video game on their cell phone while sitting in a bathroom stall.
- Employee was drinking vodka while watching Netflix.
- Employee was sabotaging another employee’s car tires.
- Employee was sleeping on the CEO’s couch.
- Employee was writing negative posts about the company on social media.
- Employee was sending inappropriate pictures to other employees.
- Employee was searching Google images for “cute kittens.”
- Employee was making a model plane.
- Employee was flying drones around the office.
- Employee was printing pictures of animals, naming them after employees and hanging them in the work area.
The survey was conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Poll on behalf of CareerBuilder among 2,175 hiring and human resource managers ages 18 and older (employed full-time, not self-employed, non-government) between February 11 and March 6, 2015.