According to the monthly ETF Snap Shot by State Street Global Advisors, U.S.-listed ETF assets rose by approximately $21 billion in April, with Barclays Global Investors (BGI) leading the pack in terms of the largest share of assets under management ($273 billion), followed by State Street ($103 billion), Vanguard ($29 billion) and Bank of New York ($27 billion).
According to the figures:
- International ETFs rose by 7.6% to $8.4 billion,
- Style ETFs increased by 6.3% to $3.6 billion,
- Size ETFs rose 1.8% to $2.6 billion,
- Sector ETFs moved up 4.7% to $2.1 billion, and
- Specialty ETFs incrased 8.2% to $1.6 billion.
In terms of size-based ETFs, all categories saw gains in April, and for style, growth-oriented ETFs outpaced their value counterparts for the second consecutive month. The financial sector saw the greatest boost in ETF assets during the month, by 19%, $774 million, to reach about $4 billion.