A MetLife news release said the new offerings range from Conservative to Very Aggressive and are designed to meet a variety of investment objectives and levels of risk tolerance. Each is made up of a group of underlying investment options from several investment management companies and is diversified among asset classes.
“With employees responsible for an ever increasing share of their own retirement savings and an
unprecedented number of Americans nearing retirement, the need for flexible, diversified plan options has never been greater,” said William Slater, vice president, MetLife Retirement & Savings, in the announcement. “In considering which portfolios may be appropriate, plan participants should consider how many years they may live in retirement; their anticipated income level; their other income, assets, and investments such as savings accounts, a home, other plan assets and IRAs, and the amount of monthly income they’ll need in retirement.”
The MetLife Investment Strategies Group chooses the investments for each Portfolio and reviews and rebalances them quarterly to maintain their stated investment objectives and risk profiles.
The MetLife Asset Allocation Portfolios include:
- MetLife Conservative Asset Allocation Portfolio – Designed for investors who may have a low tolerance for risk and seek current income and stability rather than growth (Target allocation: 20% equity, 55% fixed income and 25% money market).
- MetLife Moderately Conservative Asset Allocation Portfolio – Designed for investors who seek current income and stability and some growth (Target allocation: 40% equity, 50% fixed income and 10% money market).
- MetLife Moderate Asset Allocation Portfolio – Designed for long-term investors who are comfortable with some investment risk and seek moderate growth (Target allocation: 60% equity, 35% fixed income and 5% money market).
- MetLife Aggressive Asset Allocation Portfolio – Designed for long-term investors who seek a high degree of growth and are comfortable with an increased degree of investment risk (Target allocation: 80% equity and 20% fixed income).
- MetLife Very Aggressive Asset Allocation Portfolio – Designed for long-term investors who seek a very high degree of growth and are very comfortable with an increased degree of investment risk (Target allocation: 100% equity).