Fund Diagnostics will provide comparisons to specific data points for the approximately 13,000 mutual funds Morningstar tracks.
Diagnostics and comparisons will be available for measurement categories, such as:
- Performance – comparing a specific fund’s performance to other funds in its category.
- Morningstar Rating and Risk – Morningstar’s “star rating” will be utilized to measure a fund’s returns relative to its volatility
- Expense ratio – comparison of expense ratio in context to its holdings
- Management – comparison of a fund’s management tenure to that of its peers
- Morningstar Style Box – clarification on how a fund’s holdings can affect performance and make-up
- Sector Breakdown – insight into the fund’s sector exposure with comparisons to the S&P 500 Index and other funds within its category
- Asset Allocation – examination of a fund’s concentration of holdings in cash, equities, foreign stocks and bonds
- Percent of Assets in the Top 10 – examination of how much of a fund’s top 10 stock positions make up the entire fund’s composition.
Investors can access the new Fund Diagnostics tool through www.morningstar.com . This enhancement will be offered free for a limited time; afterwards, Fund Diagnostic will be available to Morningstar Premium members.