A press release from ExtendHealth, a Medicare exchange provider, said just 3% of respondents to its survey say they miss their work, and just 2% say they have too much time on their hands.
When asked what they love about retirement, retirees’ top response was “I can do what I want with my time,” cited by 43%, followed by “I don’t have the stress that was part of my work,” cited by 25%.
Respondents said now that they’re retired they are:
- Spending more time with family, especially children and grandchildren – 42%;
- Traveling more – 39%;
- Spending more time on a hobby or starting a new one – 32%;
- Volunteering – 27%;
- Living a life of leisure – 22%;
- Spending more time with friends – 14%;
- Starting a new career – 10%.
The survey was fielded August 27-31, 2010.
« Americans Bumping up Retirement Savings to Cover Health Care Costs