Well, here’s a couple of thousand more….
The good folks at outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas have once again stopped to figure out the costs of the NCAA tournament to employers. Apparently with up to 37.3 million workers participating in the ubiquitous pools – and assuming they spend just 10 minutes a day during the 16 days of the tournament thinking, talking about, or watching the games (and perhaps shedding the occasional crocodile tear for a misplaced upset pick) – that’s $1.7 billion in lost productivity (and that’s assuming they make just $17.50/hour, mind you – the average employee wage, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics). MORE at http://www.planadviser.com/education/article.php/1954
– – – In Hull, UK , guess what happens when an ATM starts giving out twice as much cash as requested – – – and people share that information – – – you can see it at http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_03/CashQueueHNP_468x294.jpg
– – – In Zurich, Switzerland , Nigrita, 70, has just given birth to a new baby – – – that isn’t as odd as you might think – – – see Nigrita is a Galapagos Giant Tortoise – – – you can see mama and her new baby at http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_03/tortoDM1903_800x554.jpg
– – – In General Guemes, Argentina , the local citizenry has been terrified by sightings of a creepy ‘gnome’ – – – and police have now reportedly launched a full-scale investigation – after records showed locals have reported seeing the creature for DECADES – – – now he’s been caught on video – – – and you can see it at http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article902014.ece
– – – In Kent, England , mass starfish strandings, or “wrecks”, are not uncommon – – – typically happening once a year – – – but in recent weeks, the tide seems to have taken a turn for the worse – – – something that the Daily Mail calls – – – Starmageddon – – – you can see it online at http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_02/StarTF1103_468x619.jpg
– – – In Green Bay, Wisconsin , Mariah Peterson went out in the driveway of her home here – – – looked down – – – and saw a pothole in the shape of – – – Wisconsin. MORE at http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde ?
– – – In Chesapeake, Virginia , Emily McIntire, 15, stumbled across something interesting while eating breakfast earlier this month – – – a corn flake shaped like – – – the state of Illinois – – – and they’re selling it on Ebay – – – and people are BIDDING on it – – – see what they are bidding on at http://hamptonroads.com/files/images/61551.jpg
p.s. if you want to have some fun, go to ebay.com and search for Illinois Corn Flake – – – in addition to the obvious, you’ll find some interesting twists on that theme – – – including a drawing of said corn flake, and a spoon – – – “useful for Great Illinois Corn Flake – – – for when you realize it’s just a cornflake – – –
And here's a couple of thousand more, with a criminal "twist:"
AND IF IT'S FRIDAY - - - then it must be time for - - - THE FRIDAY FILES - - - Somewhere between Calais, France and Kosovo - - - an unnamed man, wanted to sneak a ride from Calais to Great Britain - - - and so climbed inside a truck's wind deflector to hitch said ride on the "QT" - - - only to find - - - after going about 50 miles - - - that the truck, driven by Tom Conlin, 60, was heading to Kosovo - - - the opposite direction - - - you can see him at http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article939689.ece
- - - In Claymont, Delaware , an as-yet-unnamed man strolled into the WSFS branch in the Superfresh supermarket here - - - produced a black handgun, demanded, and received cash - - - and fled - - - he likely won't remain unnamed for long, however - - - thanks to this "candid" moment - - - http://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20080319&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=80319051&Ref=AR&MaxW=318&Border=0
- - - In Palo Pinto, Texas , police confiscated 411 bottles of illegal hooch at Bayou Bob's Brazos River Rattlesnake Ranch here - - - all 411 bottles also contained 10-inch rattlesnakes - - - apparently the sale of alcohol in bottles containing snakes or scorpions is popular in Asian cultures (a la the worm in a bottle of tequila?) - - - you can see a sample online at MORE at http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2008/03/15/04/290-340085-282655.embedded.prod_affiliate.58.jpg
« NJ not Doing its Share of Funding Pensions