The survey of about 5,700 employees by CareerBuilder.com asked workers to select the workplace taboos in which they had taken part. The results were:
- Falling asleep, 45%;
- Kissing a co-worker, 39%;
- Consuming alcoholic beverages while on the job, 21%;
- Stealing from the office, 22%;
- Spreading a rumor about a co-worker, 22%;
- Snooping after hours, 18%;
- Lying about an academic background, 4%; and
- Taking credit for someone else’s work, 2%.
Men admit to engaging in all of these workplace taboos more than women, with nearly half (49%) of men having fallen asleep on the job compared to 35% of women. When it comes to kissing co-workers, 44% of men and 34% of women admitted to kissing a co-worker.