The index has fallen by 40%, pummeled by the US recession, since it stood at 75 in November 2000, according to the private research group.
According to the Help-Wanted Index, between October and November this year, job advertising:
- was down by 7% in the South Atlantic area
- fell by 6% in the Northeast
- dropped by 5% in the East North Central, the West North Central region, and the mountain regions
- dipped by 1% in both the West South Central and the West North Central areas
- remained level in the Pacific region
- gained 1% in the East South Central area.
The Conference Board surveys 51 major newspapers across the country about their patterns of help-wanted ads every month.