Over the year, $434.5 billion of new money poured into mutual funds, with:
- $33.6 billion going into stock funds
- $75.6 billion going into fixed income funds
- $325.3 billion moving into money funds.
According to Lipper, in December:
- equity funds took in $1.7 billion
- investors withdrew $900 million from bond funds
- money market funds saw outflows of $28.4 billion.
Among stock funds over the month:
- diversified domestic funds had inflows of $3.1 billion
- sector funds saw outflows of $2 billion
- investors withdrew $1.3 billion from world equity funds
- science and technology funds – the month’s biggest loser – saw a leakage of $1.2 billion.
In addition, value funds attracted $7 billion in new money over the month, while growth funds had an outflow of $5.4 billion.