The first drive-thru restaurant was created in 1947 by Sheldon “Red” Chaney, operator of Red’s Giant Hamburg in Springfield, Missouri. Located on Route 66, the restaurant served customers until its closure in 1984.
Harry and Esther Snyder open the first In-N-Out Burger in Baldwin Park, California, in 1948. The Snyder’s concept is credited with being the first establishment to use a two-way intercom for customers to place their orders from a speaker stand, then pull up to a window, where they paid for and received their order.
Up to this point, drive-in restaurants were the fast-food norm, with carhops taking and delivering orders while cars were parked in spaces on the property.
« Transamerica Unveils Retirement Savings Game