The America at Work Poll, conducted by the Employment Law Alliance (ELA) revealed that:
- almost 45% of the sample have been to an employer-sponsored holiday party at which there was drunkenness or drug use, and
- close to 15% said they had been to one at which there was inappropriate sexual behavior
The ELA suggests these guidelines to prevent holiday parties from getting out of hand.
- educate personnel about No Harassment, No Retaliation and Equal Employment Opportunity policies,
- if alcohol is served, arrange for designated drivers, reduced cab fares or hotel room rates,
- provide ample food and entertainment to prevent drinking from becoming the focus of the party, and
- designate a responsible person, preferably a manager, who will refrain from consuming alcohol, to monitor the party
The poll comprised the responses of 1,000 working adults.