The 25 companies on the list range in size and include companies in health care, financial services and a university.
The list of employers reflects the growing awareness in the country of workers putting off retirement and remaining in the workplace, AARP said. “This is a sure indicator of the growing importance of the older worker to the success of individual companies and, in fact, to the entire economy,” said Jim Parkel, AARP president. “For decades, many employers have been oblivious to the crucial role of that segment of the workforce.”
Honored employers were said to support skills training of older workers and give them greater flexibility.
AARP’s 2003 Best Employers for Workers over 50 are:
- Adecco Employment Services (Melville, NY)
- Augusta Health Care Inc.(Fishersville, VA)
- Baptist Health South Florida (Coral Gables, FL)
- Bon Secours Richmond Health System (Richmond, VA)
- Brethren Village (Lancaster, PA)
- Children’s Health System (Birmingham, AL)
- Deere & Company (Moline, IL)
- Farmers Insurance Group of Companies (Los Angeles, CA)
- First Tennessee National Corporation (Memphis, TN)
- Freeport Health Network (Freeport, IL)
- Hoffmann-La Roche Inc.(Nutley, NJ)
- Lincoln Financial Group (Philadelphia, PA)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA)
- Pinnacle West Capital Corporation (Phoenix, AZ)
- Principal Financial Group (Des Moines, IA)
- Scottsdale Healthcare (Scottsdale, AZ)
- SSM Health Care – St. Louis (St. Louis, MO)
- St. Mary’s Medical Center Inc. (Huntington, WV)
- The Aerospace Corporation (El Segundo, CA)
- The MITRE Corporation (Bedford, MA/McLean, VA)
- The Ohio State University Medical Center (Columbus, OH)
- Ultratech, Inc. (San Jose, CA)
- Volkswagen of America, Inc. (Auburn Hills, MI)
- West (Eagan, MN)
- Whirlpool Corporation (Benton Harbor, MI)
The categories upon which the companies were evaluated included recruitment practices, continuing opportunities for advancement, flexible work schedules and benefits for both current and retired employees.
The results, and profiles of the companies, will be featured in the November/ December issue of AARP The Magazine.
– Alison Cooke