Exchange-traded funds are similar to index funds, but they trade throughout the day, and can be traded like individual stocks, offering additional flexibility and liquidity for plan sponsors.
Four of the five funds will invest in Treasurys, while the fifth will invest in government and investment-grade corporate bonds.
The new funds are:
- iShares 1-3 Year Treasury Index Fund
- iShares 7-10 Year Treasury Index Fund
- iShares 20-plus Year Treasury Index Fund
- iShares Treasury Index Fund
- iShares Government/Credit Bond Index Fund
Each fund will track the Lehman Brothers index that represents its asset class.
Earlier this week Nuveen Investments announced its plans to rollout the first fixed income ETFs. Nuveen’s offerings will be based on Ryan Treasury Indexes of one-year, two-year, five-year and 10-year Treasury issues and 20-year Treasury STRIPS.
« Participants May Retire Early, Poor