The survey was conducted between May 18 and June 8, 2011 among 5,708 workers nationwide.
Key findings from the survey include:
• An only child is more likely to earn six figures and is more likely to hold a C-level position (CEO, CFO, Senior VP, etc.), but workers with siblings are more likely to be satisfied in their jobs.
• Among workers with siblings, a first born child is the most likely to earn six figures and hold a C-level position, while a last born child is the most likely to work in middle management. A middle child is the most likely to report holding an entry-level position and earning less than $35,000.
• An only child has a higher tendency toward working in technical and health-related fields and protective services. First born tend to be drawn to government positions and science. Middle children lean toward public service and care-taking roles, while the youngest in families prefer more creative roles and technology.
• Virgo, Aries, and Scorpio signs are the most likely to earn six figures. Capricorn and Leo signs are the most likely to hold an upper management position (VP and above) with more Capricorns in C-level jobs. The Aries sign is the most likely to work in middle management while Aquarius is the most likely to hold an entry-level job. Virgo, Libra, and Taurus signs are the most likely to report being satisfied in their jobs.
Professions That Draw Certain Workers
While all workers will fall into different job levels, earning brackets and many different types of professions, there are certain job types that appear to attract some segments more than others, according to the CareerBuilder survey.
• First Born – government, information technology, engineering, science;
• Middle Child – law enforcement, fire-fighting, construction, education, personal care;
• Last Born – art/design/architecture, editing/writing, information technology, sales; and
• Only Child – information technology, engineering, nursing, law enforcement.
In terms of astrological signs:
• Capricorn – engineering, sales, food preparation, law enforcement, skilled trades;
• Aquarius – sales, machine operation, military, construction, education, personal care;
• Pisces – government, finance, mechanics, skilled trades, law enforcement, fire-fighting;
• Aries – hotel/recreation, higher education, construction, engineering, government, information technology;
• Taurus – government, legal professionals, healthcare, art/design/architecture, marketing/public relations;
• Gemini – social work, food preparation, information technology, sales, law enforcement, fire-fighting;
• Cancer – government, higher education, physicians, editing/writing, engineering;
• Leo – nursing, legal services, information technology, education, real estate;
• Virgo – editing/writing, education, social work, military, sales;
• Libra – engineering, machine operation, healthcare, art/design/architecture, finance, education;
• Scorpio – science, attorney/judge, hotel/recreation, machine operation, education; and
• Sagittarius – information technology, editing/writing, lab technician, social work, education.
« Nonprofits Increase Diversification to Manage Market Volatility