A news release from theCareerBuilder Web site said 49% of workers take a coffee break at least once, while 32% head to the coffee machine at least two times each workday.
But the survey found that people are taking the opportunity presented by their caffeine breaks to do a lot of other unusual things (ranked by CareerBuilder):
1. Proposed marriage
2. Judged a “Best Legs” contest
3. Shrink wrapped a co-worker’s new car
4. Did step aerobics by his cubicle
5. Left the office to chase a weasel outside
6. Had a burping contest
7. Ran a race in a wedding dress
8. Kissed another employee in the stairwell
9. Did a fast re-enactment of the “Rocky Horror Picture Show”
10. Walked a new-born turkey around the building
Only 15% of respondents said they looked for another job while getting more coffee. When broken down by industry, banking and finance workers are the most likely to search for a job during their coffee breaks at 29%, followed by health care at 21%.
This survey was conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Interactive on behalf of CareerBuilder.com among 5,600 U.S. employees (employed full-time; not self-employed; with no involvement in hiring decisions) ages 18 and over between June 1 and June 13, 2007.
« SURVEY SAYS – Will There Be a Holiday Party at Your Workplace?