Launched in July 2008, the series is derived from the FTSE Global Equity Index Series and includes companies with at least 20% of their business derived from environmental markets and technologies.
Constituents are researched by Impax Group plc, the specialist environmental investment company, which haspartnered with FTSE to develop a range of indexes that cover environmental markets.
The expansion of the index series identifies and segments the renewable energy, energy efficiency, water, and waste management markets and will appeal to investors seeking to access the growing low-carbon economy, the news release said.
The new indexes are:
- FTSE EO 100 Index (the largest 100 companies included in the FTSE EO All-Share Index)
- FTSE EO Water Technology 30 Index
- FTSE EO Water Technology Benchmark Index
- FTSE EO Renewable Energy 50 Index
- FTSE EO Renewable Energy Benchmark Index
- FTSE EO Energy Efficiency 50 Index
- FTSE EO Energy Efficiency Benchmark Index
- FTSE EO Waste and Pollution Control 30
- FTSE EO Waste and Pollution Control Benchmark Index
“The FTSE Environmental Markets indices track the performance of those companies who are best positioned to benefit from the shift to a global low-carbon economy. The expansion of the Environmental Opportunities series offers investors the opportunity to identify those leading global companies within a comprehensive benchmark and tradable index series.” said Will Oulton, Head of Responsible Investment, FTSE Group, in the announcement.