The 2001 Survey of Exempt Compensation conducted by Business & Legal Reports, Inc. (BLR) comprising input from 4,500 respondents, found that western employers now pay the highest rates in all the information technologies jobs, engineering positions, and most of the production positions studied.
The 28 positions, which are highest paid on the Pacific Coast, include:
- programmers, who are paid $49,399;
- data processing managers, who get $80,000;
- project engineers, who receive $71,325;
- a director of quality control, who are paid $65,000; and
- buyers, who get $40,008.
The Northeast / Middle Atlantic region reported the highest rates in nine of the 47 jobs, including:
- accounting managers, who earn $56,975;
- controllers, who are paid $71,000; and
- directors of marketing, who receive $85,000.
The Central, Rocky Mountain, and Southwest regions recorded the highest salary levels in only six jobs, including:
- human resources managers at $62,000, and
- purchasing managers at $67,200.
The East Central region had the highest rates in two jobs, specifically:
- junior engineers, who earn $46,436, and
- plant managers who receive $68,682.
« Manulife Hooks up with CNN/Money Online