Job seekers cited a preference of public sector jobs with the federal government (53%), followed by local (33%) and state government (29%). Former public sector employees currently seeking jobs reported an 89% willingness to return to a government job.
When asked which public sector positions they would consider, those jobs that held the most interest were:
- Teachers 52%
- Social Worker 39%
- Intelligence agent 35%
- Police officer 19%
- Firefighter 14%
Provided with a list of reasons for considering specific public sector position, the positions with the greatest responses per question were:
- Help people/make a differene – social worker 47%
- Like working with people – social worker 42%
- Greater potential for career growth – police officer 26%
- Like the excitement – intelligence agent 21%
- Good benefits – firefighter16%
- Increasing demand for jobs in field – 11% intelligence agent
Beta Research Corporation conducted the survey through telephone interviews of 200 job seekers in the New York metropolitan area.