According to the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) survey, 29% said their companies had no memorial plans while another 53% hadn’t yet determined that they would do. Just 13% said they planned to ask employees to observe a moment of silence during the day Thursday.
Other answers about September 11 workplace plans included:
- 8 % – flying American flag(s) half-mast
- 3% – giving employees red, white and blue ribbons or lapel ribbons to wear
- 3% – conducting a spiritual affirmation
- 2% – holding a blood drive
- 1% – holding a “celebration of life” event
- 1% – collecting donations to be given to an appropriate charity
- 1% – holding an all-staff meeting
- 1% – allowing time off without pay (liberal leave)
- 4% – other
The survey was based on the responses of 356 randomly selected human resource rofessionals during the week of August 27-September 2, 2003.