A survey by the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans of 153 US and Canadian salaried and third-party administrators who work with multi-employer plans found that 89% of the funds charge interest on late or missed payments, according to a news release from the group.
According to the survey, other collection programs include:
- 84% of funds specify penalties and remedies in case of delinquencies
- 82% of funds require routine and/or random payroll audits
- 69% of funds collect liquidated damages
- 50% of funds use wage and fringe benefits bonds to alleviate delinquency problems
- 22% of funds use arbitration to resolve delinquencies.
To purchase a copy of Collection of Employer Contributions, contact the Publications Department, International Foundation, P.O. Box 68-9953, Milwaukee, WI, 53268-9953; call (888) 334-3327, option 4; fax (262) 786-8780; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org . The 216-page publication, bound in a three-ring binder, costs $80 (I.F. Members $40) plus shipping and handling.
More information about the organization is at http://www.ifebp.org/ .