Better Choices, Better Health, which the NCOA is offering as a benefit to its own employees, is a six-week online workshop that helps people with chronic long term conditions manage their symptoms and take control of their health.
According to the announcement, participants log on to the free weekly sessions from any computer with an Internet connection. Sessions are posted on a secure Web site each week for six weeks. There are no set times for workshop sessions; participants log on remotely at their convenience to complete exercises, read posted material, and interact with others.
Information on the Stanford School of Medicine Web site says groups of about 25 people with a variety of ongoing health conditions participate together. Workshops are facilitated by two trained facilitators, one or both of whom are peers with a chronic health condition themselves.
Topics covered include:
- techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation;
- appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance;
- appropriate use of medications;
- communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals;
- healthy eating;
- making informed treatment decisions;
- disease related problem solving; and
- advanced directives.
The workshop is offered exclusively through NCOA. Those interested can learn more and, for a limited time, register for a workshop at http://www.SelfManage.org.