A Robert Half Technology news release said s tarting salaries overall are projected to increase an average 0.5% in 2005, with larger hikes expected in high-demand specialties such as information security and quality assurance. This compares to the 1.6%-decline in base compensation this time last year. Industries forecasting particularly strong demand for IT professionals in 2005 include financial services, real estate and business services.
According to the 2005 Salary Guide, systems auditors will see the greatest starting salary increases in 2005, with base compensation expected to rise 5.1%, to the range of $63,250 to $81,750 annually. The survey also revealed that average starting compensation for pre- and post-sales consultants is projected to go up 3.9% in 2005, to between $53,500 and $78,250. Starting salaries for programmer/analysts are expected to rise to the range of $52,500 to $83,250, a 3.6% increase.
Other findings include:
- Quality assurance/testing managers will earn average starting salaries of between $64,750 and $86,750, a gain of 2.2% over 2004.
- Network security administrators can expect base compensation in the range of $63,750 to $90,500, an increase of 2.3% over 2004.
- Business systems analysts will see starting salaries increase 1.9% to the range of $56,000 to $80,500 per year.
- Average starting salaries for Internet/intranet administrators will decline 1.2%, bringing base compensation to the range of $48,250 to $70,750 .
- Base compensation for desktop support analysts will decrease 3.8%, with starting salaries in the range of $44,500 to $63,250.
“As the economy gains momentum and businesses pursue new technology initiatives, the need for experienced IT professionals will continue to rise,” said Katherine Spencer Lee, executive director of Robert Half Technology, in the announcement. “While average starting salaries should remain relatively stable in 2005, compensation levels within many specialties will increase as demand for these skills becomes more pronounced.”
A copy of the guide can be ordered at www.rht.com or by calling 800-793-5533.