Web Site adds Beefed Up Content on Stock Comp. Tax Reporting

March 1, 2007 (PLANSPONSOR.com) - myStockOptions, a stock compensation Web site, has enhanced its Tax Center with a section about reporting sales of company stock on Schedule D of IRS Form 1040 (Reporting Company Stock Sales).

A news release said that questions and answers show employees, accountants, and tax advisers how to complete Schedule D (“Capital Gains and Losses”) for a variety of situations involving sales of stock from:

  • nonqualified stock options (NQSOs);
  • incentive stock options (ISOs);
  • restricted stock;
  • restricted stock units (RSUs);
  • employee stock purchase plans (ESPPs); and
  • stock appreciation rights (SARs).

“The tax reporting for stock compensation is complex,” said   Bruce Brumberg, Editor-in-Chief of myStockOptions.com, in the news release. “Our goal is to help employees with stock pay realize the full potential of their equity grants by educating them about tax rules and helping them prevent mistakes.”

Among the scenarios addressed in the enhanced content section:

  • I exercised NQSOs, held the stock, and now have long-term capital gains on the sale. Do I get any “credit” on my tax return for the income tax I paid for the spread at exercise?
  • How am I taxed if I have made a disqualifying disposition of incentive stock option (ISO) shares in a different year than the year I exercised the option?
  • When I hold restricted stock after it vests and later have capital gains on the sale, will I get any “credit” for the income tax I paid at vesting?
  • When my restricted stock units vested, my company automatically withheld shares to cover the tax. Do I need to report these shares on my Schedule D?
  • My company’s employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) is not tax-qualified under Section 423 of the Internal Revenue Code. How do I report any gain that results from the sale of my ESPP shares on my federal income tax return?
  • How do I report any gain that results from the sale of my stock appreciation rights (SARs) shares on my federal income-tax return?

For more information, visit http://www.mystockoptions.com  or call 617-734-1979.