A news release said 20% described their direct supervisor’s performance as poor or very poor.
The top concerns workers have with their boss include:
- Plays favorites – 23%
- Doesn’t follow through on what he/she promises – 21%
- Doesn’t listen to concerns – 21%
- Doesn’t provide regular feedback – 20%
- Doesn’t motivate me – 17%
- Only provides negative feedback – 14%
When it comes to rating the performance of their corporate leaders, 50% said their leadership teams were doing a good or great job while 23% described their performance as poor or very poor. Corporate leaders received a poor rating from workers primarily due to insufficient communication, unrealistic workloads, and a lack of training and employee development:
- Doesn’t make an effort to listen to employees or address employee morale – 40%
- Not enough transparency, doesn’t communicate openly and honestly – 33%
- Major changes are made without warning – 30%
- Workloads and productivity demands are unreasonable – 2 %
- Doesn’t motivate me – 21%
- Stopped investing in the development of employees – 20%
This survey was conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Interactive on behalf of CareerBuilder.com among 2,482 U.S. employers and 3,910 U.S. employees (employed full-time; not self-employed; non-government) ages 18 and over between November 15 and December 2, 2010.