Investing April 12, 2002
March Fund Returns Head North
April 12, 2002 (PLANSPONSOR.com) - Some 86% of funds gained ground in March, according to performance figures compiled by Morningstar Canada.
Reported by Camilla Klein
The number stands in stark contrast to the 23% and 59% of the funds that made money for investors in the January and February respectively.
The median fund in Canada gained 2.8% last month compared to a 0.2% return the previous month. According to data from Morningstar Canada, median returns in the top performing categories were:
- Precious Metals, the median fund in this category returning 8%,
- Natural Resources, where the median fund posted a 6.8%
- Japanese Equity, 6.5%
- US Small and Mid Cap Equity, 6.4%, and
- Science and Technology 6.4%
In comparison, funds bringing up the rear in terms of performance were primarily in the fixed income asset class. Over the month:
- the Canadian Bond category came in last, with a median return of -1.9%,
- the Foreign Bond category posted a median return of -1.5%, while
- the median return in the Canadian Short Term Bond category was -1.3%
« Companies Step up Benefits