According to a release from the company regarding the polling of 600 managers, Richard Castellini, the company’s Senior Career Advisor, offered the largest mistakes made:
- Crying or arguing in the interview.
- Bringing someone else – family or friends – to an interview.
- Not showing enthusiasm – for example, by asking for direction to another interview, or by saying you want the job for employee discount.
- Not showing proper etiquette and manners.
- Not dressing properly for an interview.
- Using dirty language or telling improper jokes.
- Asking questions about security and drug tests, which can make employers suspicious.
- Drinking or flirting with managers during the interview.
The CareerBuilder.com survey, “Top Interview Mistakes 2005,” was conducted in February and March.