More than half (55%) of workers said they feel guilty if they call in sick.
According to a press release, 53% of respondents reported they have gotten sick from a co-worker who came to the office sick, and 12% said they picked up a bug from someone who was sick on public transportation going to or from work.
The survey found workers do make an attempt to avoid and not spread germs:
- 78% said they wash their hands often;
- 32% carry hand sanitizer with them and use it often;
- 30% indicated they regularly clean their keyboards, phones, desks, etc.;
- 15% avoid shaking hands with people; and
- 3% reported they skip meetings where they know people are sick.
Nearly one-in-five (19%) respondents said their companies provided flu shots at their office. Nearly two-in-five workers (38%) said they got a flu shot this year.
The CareerBuilder survey was conducted nationwide from November 15 to December 2, 2010, among more than 3,700 workers.
« NBCH Offers Guide on Value-Based Health Care Purchasing