The fact sheet addresses such topics as:
- When an intellectual disability is covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- When an employer may inquire with an applicant about their intellectual disability.
- What types of accommodations are required on the job for intellectually disable employees.
- How to address safety concerns and conduct issues in the workplace.
- How to prevent harassment of employees with intellectual disabilities.
The term ‘intellectually disabled’ refers to those once referred to as ‘mentally retarded’. Around 1% of Americans are intellectually disabled, but only 31% of these people have employment. The EEOC is in charge of enforcing parts of the ADA, as well as other acts regarding civil rights, disability and other forms of discrimination.
The fact sheet is available at www.eeoc.gov .
« Funds See Net Outflows in September